Motorcycle accidents occur for plenty of reasons. If you want to be safe while riding a motorcycle, then you should be aware of the factors that contribute to motorcycle accidents.
However, if you do end up in one, it is necessary to consult a motor vehicle accident lawyer. They’ll help you get compensation for your injuries and losses.
In this article, you are going to learn about the five top causes of motorcycle crashes and how to prevent them.
Five Major Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
- Failure to See Other Vehicles
- Dangerous Road Conditions
- Inclement Weather
- Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs
- Lane Switching
1. Failure to See Other Vehicles
Motorcyclists not paying attention to the other vehicles on the road is one of the major causes of motorcycle accidents. Here are the various reasons why a motorcyclist may miss another vehicle:
- Poor visibility
- Distracted driving
- Blind spots
- Lack of signaling
To avoid this type of accident, you should
- Use headlights and signals
- Wear high-visibility clothing and helmets
- Not drive in a vehicle’s blind spot
2. Dangerous Road Condition
Motorcycles are smaller compared to cars and are harder to master. Minor bumps, potholes, and unexpected objects on the road can cause a motorcycle to crash.
These are some of the common road hazards that cause motorcycle crashes:
- Rough roads
- Wet surfaces
- Gravel on the road
- Edge breaks between lanes of differing heights
- Expansion joints on bridges and roads
- Railway crossings and tracks
- Objects or debris on the road
- Small animals
All the above things affect the traction and stability of the motorcycle and cause the rider to lose control. Motorcyclists must always be on the lookout for any potential hazards and adjust their position and speed accordingly.
3. Inclement Weather
Inclement weather conditions, such as snow, rain, wind, or fog, can also increase the risk of a motorcycle accident. Poor weather conditions decrease the traction and visibility of the motorcycle and make it difficult to brake or maneuver.
To avoid this type of motorcycle accident, motorcyclists should
- Check the climate before riding
- Avoid riding in poor weather conditions
- Wear the right clothing and appropriate gear for the weather, such as goggles, boots, gloves, and waterproof jackets
- Decrease their speed and keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front
4. Driving Under the Influence
Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is one of the main causes of motorcycle accidents. Drugs and alcohol can impair the reaction time, coordination, judgment, and balance of the rider, making them prone to accidents.
Motorcyclists should avoid riding after taking drugs or alcohol. If they do, it is better to travel through other modes of transportation.
5. Lane Switching
Lane switching occurs when a motorcycle rides between two lanes of slow or non-moving vehicles, often during heavy traffic. The following are the common factors that lead to accidents when motorcyclists engage in lane switching:
- The lack of space for the motorcyclist to maneuver.
- A car driver does not expect any vehicle to overtake them in traffic.
To prevent this type of accident, motorcyclists should
- Avoid weaving through traffic.
- Follow the proper procedure for lane-switching.
- Change lanes only when it is necessary or safe to do so.
What Kinds Of Motor Vehicle Accident Insurance Can One Get?
Let me ask you a question: what is the primary objective of getting accident insurance? Do you have an answer for this? It’s simple- just like any other insurance, vehicle insurance provides protection against road accidents. But is that all? In the next section of the article, we will be discussing the two most common types of motor vehicle accidents a person can usually get:
Comprehensive insurance for motor vehicle accidents includes any third-party liability. Additionally, it also includes all the expenses incurred by the policyholder as a result of the accident. Suppose the policyholder experiences some injury; this accident claim will cover the policyholder’s entitlements. This makes it easier for them to claim compensation owing to injury or death.
Benefits you get- A few advantages of choosing comprehensive motor insurance include the following:
- Economic security that covers emergencies.
- One that covers lawsuits, including lawsuits and the same.
- Comprehensive protection plan against motor vehicle accidents.
- Damages to the car caused by the negligence of the policyholder.
Things that it doesn’t cover- Generally, comprehensive insurance doesn’t cover the following:
- Vehicle damages due to the driver’s consumption of drugs or alcohol.
- Damages in the vehicle when a person drives without a valid driver’s license.
- Any vehicle damages due to war or mutiny.
- Electrical or mechanical breakdown, the vehicle’s wear and tear.
- Cases of depreciation.
Third-Party Liability Insurance
The next one, third-party liability insurance is an equally important one. Importantly, this plan protects the interest of the policyholder from damages. Most of them are a result of the negligence of the policyholder. It is safe to say that third-party insurance reduces the liability as well as the risk of the policyholder.
Benefits you receive- As an insured, you will get coverage for damages or injury another business or person has caused you. Without this plan, an entity or an individual has to deal with excessive compensation, even if the injury was unintentional.
What it doesn’t cover? Here are a few things a third-party motor vehicle insurance doesn’t cover:
- Drink and drive cases
- If your car receives damages because of your own fault
- A driving license that goes out-of-warranty
- Nuclear weapons possession or war
- If there is a consequential loss
We hope our article has helped you learn about five factors that contribute to motorcycle accidents. Keep in mind that motorcycle accidents cause serious consequences for both the rider and other road users. They can be fatal if the rider is moving at high speeds or if they occur in high-traffic areas.
It is important to follow the tips mentioned in this article so that motorcyclists ride responsibly and safely on the road.